Wednesday, September 19, 2018

(Blog 2) "Amazing Grace" by Jonathan Kozol

QUOTES

1. "By and large, the words of the children in the streets and schools and houses that surround St. Ann's more than justify the grimness in the words of journalists who have described the area" (Kozol 4).
     This quote immediately got my attention. This article was very blatant and shocking. It was sad and hard to read for me. Though it is a harsh reality, I think that this point is harsher than the author needed to make it. He is justifying authors for shaming poor children. No matter the income or what they are wearing, they are still human. No one should be able to talk down on people's appearances or incomes. I know it is important to get people to realize how bad poverty affects people, but we do not need to be rude in the process. We should not focus on how they look, but rather how we could help. 

2. "There are children in the poorest, most abandoned places who, despite the miseries and poisons that the world has pumped into their lives, seem, when you first meet them, to be cheerful anyway" (Kozol 6).
     This really is an eye opening quote. It shows how strong children can be. They always see the best in life, and are able to stay positive. Even when they have to deal with things much worse than a child should have to, they are able to keep their childhood innocence. They can always see the good in the world, even when dealing when family illnesses all around them. The author even states that every child knows someone who has died of AIDS. I think that this is a powerful quote for the author's main point. It almost makes you wonder if we should be the ones learning from children. 

3. "At 96th Street, all of the other white people leave the car I'm in, but several black and Hispanic women, two or whom are in maids' uniforms, come in and sit together on a seat beside me" (Kozol 17).
     The child poverty statistics in New York are extremely shocking. It gets even more upsetting when you look at the other factors behind these statistics, such as race or gender. The majority of children are living in poverty, under horrible conditions. There are so many descriptive quotes in this article, and almost all of the tragic scenes involve people of color. It was shocking to read about a world still so segregated to this day. 


Question: We know the statistics of children living in poverty, but what can we do to help? How can we bring more awareness to the issue and raise the funds to get parent's needed medication or necessary clothes for their children? In a perfect world, you could say something such as equaling out everyone's income. But realistically, is there a solution that we as a society could do to prevent this? Can teachers help in any way?

10 comments:

  1. I like each of the quotes that you chose for your post. I especially liked the first quote, about how it doesn't matter what someone's income is or how they dress, but that everyone should be treated with the same respect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like all the quotes that you listed. I also think that it is really crazy that every child knows someone who has died from AIDS. To go along with your questions I want to know if teachers can help in any way as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post, Emily. You really brought forward just how heartbreaking this is, and ask what we can do to change it. I honestly don't know how I'd answer that, but I want to in any way that I can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your thoughts about each quote. And also agree with your question if there is anything to do to help? I feel like teachers can only do so much, but I really hope there is something someone can do to help. Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily,

    This is a great post! You picked quotes that pull out some of the most critical statements made by the author. I also really liked how you explained them all. You told us the meaning behind them as well as your own personal thoughts about what the author was trying to say. Your question is also so important! It links the ideas in the article to our lives as aspiring teachers. I hope we can have a discussion about this in class!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily, I really liked all the quotes you chose. They all have importance to them and your explanation for each are very well composed! As future teachers I hope we can all do something to help. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed reading this post. I liked the quotes you picked to talk about and I agree with what you had to say in response :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, I like how you mentioned the topic of child poverty. Even though the author doesn't go to much into the topic, it was what spoke to me the most. My favorite out of the three has to be the second one, it really does show the innocence of children. Gret job on the post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the quotes you chose. I esspecially like how you used the second one. I couldnt agree with you more! Sometime kids are better teachers than us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the quotes you chose. I esspecially like how you used the second one. I couldnt agree with you more! Sometime kids are better teachers than us.

    ReplyDelete