Monday, November 5, 2018

(Blog 10) "Schooling Children with Down Syndrome" by Christopher Kliewer

REFLECTION

     This chapter really spoke to me. I work one on one with a ten year old girl who has down syndrome. I am not going to sugar coat things, it is a very hard job. As a future educator, working with special needs can be very frustrating. Of course, there is a spectrum for down syndrome, but the girl I work with is very low functioning. She can not speak and knows very limited sign language. There are days that I get very overwhelmed, because I am so use to working with children that society would call "normal" (as this article points out). It can be difficult to try to teach someone who does not learn at the levels that you're used to. The burden that Kliewer mentions is often how teachers perceive special needs. The main topic of this story is similar to that of Christensen's. Both deal with the reality of how stereotypes are affecting children. As someone who has given in to the stereotype of special needs myself, people must understand that not everyone with down syndrome is the same, as I have come to learn. As the story points out, some kids function just as much, if not more, than everyone else in their class. To treat them differently is unfair. Furthermore, even the children who are less functioning should still get a chance at education. People could look at the girl I watch and think she is incapable of anything. However, I have worked with her for about a year now, and know that this is not the case. She understands a lot more than you'd think, and it is very apparent when you really pay attention. Working with a down syndrome child has opened my eyes to be less judgmental. I think teachers with the same mindset could easily have a change of heart if they just gave special needs children a chance. They should definitely do some research, to realize that not all kids with down syndrome learn the same way. 

QUESTION: Do you think children with down syndrome should be integrated into the classrooms, or should they stay in their own classes? How would staying or not staying benefit them and their peers? For higher functioning kids, there are many strategies to teach them equally. Do you think this is an inconvenience for the rest of the class?





10 comments:

  1. I love the points you made in your blog! I actually used yours as an extended comment on mine. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked reading about your personal connection to the chapter and the visuals that you provided.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,

    I really enjoy your pictures. Especially the "I can" one, because I think that is something people need to realize. I also had a very similar question to you, and I'm not sure what the answer is. I just know that every student should have the opportunities they deserve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the others pointed out, you made a really good connection from the article to your life experiences which is great. As for the question, I think each child should be heavily evaluated so that teachers and staff members can see if the child with down syndrome could work in a regular classroom or only in a special needs classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked how you shared your own life experiences to connected it with the article we read. I really thought the picture "I can" was a great addition to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel as if we should have more of s community in the classroom. I never muched like the idea of having seperation in the classroom with students. And if you are, make sure it doesn't have too much to do with separation of communication. Students in general need to be able to talk to other students do develop social skills

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really enjoyed your post. I love how you tie your own experiences into the ideas brought up in the article.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Emily, thank you so much for sharing your personal experience. Also, thank you for your real ness and honesty. Working with children with disabilities can be quite challenging and days are not always shiny and bright. Thank you for acknowledging this and reminding everyone of this in case they’re ever having a tough day in their classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked how you had your own personal experience here and included it! very nice!! thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed reading your post, I like how you connected with the reading with your personal experience!

    ReplyDelete