Sunday, November 4, 2018

(Blog 9) "Tracking: Why Schools Need to Take Another Route" by Jeannie Oakes and "Literacy with an Attitude" by Patrick J. Finn

REFLECTION

     In the article, Tracking: Why Schools Need to Take Another Route by Jeannie Oakes, she talks about the two sides to tracking in schools. Some parents are for keeping track of student's scores, because they want their kids to be around other successful peers. These parents think that the less academic students will have a bad influence on their kids. The parents that are against tracking think that tracking not only excludes kids, but also neglects them. Personally, I related a lot to this article while reading it. I also have some strong opinions on the topic. I am against tracking. I think that tracking causes the students that are put in the less academic groups to fall even more behind. Being integrated into a classroom with less and more successful students will help influence those who are less academic to do better. I think that tracking is unfair segregation. It makes students feel bad about themselves, which will only make them give up in school. Teachers will also lose hope on these kids, and only the students in the more advanced group will get attention, when they're the ones who need it the least. When I was in middle school, we had groups that were based on academic scores. The groups would never get along. Everyone would always think one group was better than the other. It caused constant conflict. I was in a less advanced group, and I didn't feel like I belonged in it. I was never able to reach my full potential. If I had been challenged more, I could have been a lot more educated. Placing students in a group off of only test scores can be completely off as to what their actual abilities are. Tracking will only cause kids to be over or under challenged. 


     The preface and chapters one and two of Literacy with an Attitude, by Patrick J. Finn was written in 1999, but is still a very prominent topic today. Finn connects his topic to Kozol's, which I though was pretty cool. Finn mentions that he was born with a birth defect, which made him unable to follow the family business like all of his other siblings were. This left him with school as his only backup to figure out what to do for his future. Of course, as a future teacher, I also have a very strong opinion about education. I believe that college is not for everyone, it really just depends on what career choice you make. However, I am a strong believer in getting your high school diploma. Like this article states, it is a hard era education wise. It is nearly impossible to find a good paying job without some sort of education. This article closely related to how I grew up. I always knew I'd have to go to college to become a teacher, and though it isn't ideal, it is the society we live in today.


QUESTION: Do you think that education should be important in finding a job? What can we do as a society to lesson the stigma that not having a college degree is bad? 

10 comments:

  1. Hey Emily I wrote about you in my blog this week! You brought up a lot of good points !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, great job! I really liked what you had to say this week. Thank you for sharing your own personal experiences as well. I agree with you completely, especially about tracking. I can see both sides to the argument, but I too believe it causes too much damage to those who are placed in lower classes. The effects it has on those children’s self esteem is what really makes me against it. Great job as always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,

    I love how organized and easy to follow your posts are. I think you asked an interesting question too. I think that this is a tricky question to ask, because I'm not sure there is a clear right and wrong answer. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your thoughts on the tracking article so much that I used your blog to inspire my own! I likes how you used two other websites/articles to connect with article the whole class read this week! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading your blog. you make great points and arguments. great job

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked reading your thoughts on this article, and I think that the question that you included really has points for both sides of the argument.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked the images you included. Your blog is well written and very easy to follow. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed your post. You brought up some really strong points.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracking can have a big affevt on the pshych of the student. How they think about themselves highly affects their learning and progress

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a great post. I agree with you that tracking causes students to fall more behind and that it is unfair segregation. Your personal experiences with tracking in middle school were really helpful in demonstrating the problems with tracking. Thank you for sharing those.

    ReplyDelete